How to choose nail polish colour to match the clothes, accessories and make-up that you’re wearing and your skin tone. Plus, how to use a colour analysis swatch wallet to choose the right nail polish colour. The idea is not to match the nail polish with the swatches!
Years ago, I nearly fell off the sofa when I saw Joan Collins in an episode of ‘Dynasty’ wearing an orangey-coral nail polish alongside her usual bright bluey-red lipstick! I have no idea what any of the characters had to say or what the scene was about as I was totally distracted by this completely ugly mis-match of colours.
And, as you can see, it left an indelible impression on my psyche, and I am still troubled by it to this day! By the way, if you or anyone you know has a photo of this tragic incident please let me know!
How to choose nail polish colour
Choose nail polish colours to match the clothes, accessories and make-up that you’re wearing:
- If you have Cool skin tones, then (hopefully) your clothes, accessories and make-up will all have complementary Cool tones too. So it should be easy for you to choose Cool tones for your nail polish as well
- Similarly, if you have Warm skin tones, then (hopefully) you’ll be looking fabulous in complementary warm-toned clothes, accessories and make-up. So choosing Warm tones for your nail polish should be easy-peasy
- This is where your colour analysis swatch wallet may come in very useful.
How to use a swatch wallet to choose nail polish colours
The idea is not to match the nail polish with the swatches. You will never do this absolutely, so please don’t waste your time. The aim of the exercise is to see if the nail polish looks good alongside and with the colours in the wallet. Hold the nail polish bottle across the complete range of colours to assess this properly:
- Does it look as though it belongs with the colours in the wallet?
- Then try it!
- Or does it look completely out of place?
- Then put it back on the shelf and save your hard-earned money!
You can also use this exact same method to find the right shade of lipstick, jewellery, make-up, hair colour and all your clothes.